Welcome, December! Although it has been unseasonably warm in Georgia, there have been a few chilly nights when you’ve likely cranked up the thermostat. When you combine the dry heat of inside air with the drought we’re experiencing, your skin is likely having one heck of a time staying hydrated!
Sure, we’ve set a new record for both temperature and the number of days without rain, but winter is coming, and with it comes vacations to destinations where snow and freezing temperatures might just be a possibility. Even if you have never raced down a mountain on a pair of skis, you should treat your skin as if you do it all the time.
Known as après ski skin care (that’s French for “what you do after a day of skiing”), the following are the things you should do for your skin (and overall health) during the winter:
- Sun Protection – use a medical-grade sun block, such as EltaMD, to ensure you have the proper protection without harmful chemicals that can be absorbed by your skin.
- Guard Your Lips – when you’re outdoors, use lip-specific sun block; at all times, make sure to use moisturizing lip balm to protect sensitive skin.
- Exfoliate – dermaplaning treatments at Head To Toe by Arlene will remove both the fine hairs and the dead skin cells from the surface of your skin, making it easier for your skin to absorb the products that will keep it healthy and promote new cell growth. (It will also create a smooth “canvas” for your beauty products, so your cosmetics can do their job!)
- Hydrate! – dry air – both inside and outside – wreaks havoc on your skin. You need to hydrate from inside (limit caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate; drink plenty of water), have a Hydrafacial treatment (to cleanse the pores and infuse your skin with moisture beneath the surface), and use products to specifically target your unique skin type.
- Cleanse & Moisturize – in between spa treatments, be sure to use high quality cleansing products, as well as moisturizers that won’t clog your pores or dry your skin (the chemicals used in some moisturizers can actually make your dry skin worse).
At Head To Toe by Arlene, we make sure that you are using the right combination of spa treatments and products at home to help your skin look and feel its best. A natural result of après ski skin care is that you’ll glide through winter with glowing, youthful skin!
Call today for your appointment. 404-218-0518 or visit www.headtotoebyarlene.com.
Visit us in Marietta and Roswell – by appointment.
See you at the spa, dah-ling!